View Single Post
Old 10-20-2005, 12:14 PM   #1
Tanukitsune
ACK!

Send a message via MSN to Tanukitsune
Default Hype or blackout?

I've recently suffered a case of hype and blockout, nearly at the same time...

We all know what hype is, it's when a company tells us that a game will be the greatest thing ever, and the media is usually flooded with info on this game...

But I suffer a special case of hype.... Self hype...

I visited the site daily, watched every video and read all the news about that game....

I convinced myself it was the greatest game ever...

The name of the "game"...

Nintendogs...

When I finally got my hands on the game, I noticed that even though it't probably the best pet sim ever made, it wasn't as great as I expected it to be...

After a few weeks, I barely bother to turn on my DS to play with the pup, I only use the DS ot play Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow and Metos...

Then comes the "blackout" (is that the proper word?), I blacked out Fahrenheit, I had no idea how the game would be, I only tried the demo a few seconds to make sure the game would run on my PC...

It may be Shenmue with an insane plot, but I enjoyed it from the beginning to the end! (Ok, I hated the climbing sequences...)

The issue is, should we blackout all games? Should we avoid all hype?

If you had the oportunity to follow a game's development from start, would you do so?

You'd get hyped beyond bounds, yet it's something I think everybody should do once, just to see how a game is developed with your own eyes....

And what about games from VERY small companies? You might not even know if the game is still being made or if the company still exists!

Will a game blackout insure you'll enjoy a game?

Sometimes, not knowing a thing about a game might be bad...

It could be bad, it could be the "wrong" genre, who knows!

So, when should we "blackout"? Should we blackout?