View Single Post
Old 10-10-2005, 06:33 AM   #30
MoriartyL
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

Sorry, I missed the point where you said you already had Minish Cap.

My favorite game ever was Ocarina of Time, and I think anyone who cares about game design at all should study it in depth. I was looking forward to the first original single-player Zelda game for the GBA. So why did I hate The Minish Cap? First of all, it doesn't have an ounce of art in it. Its greatest ambition is to do exactly what every other Zelda game has already done. It stinks as entertainment because its gameplay is borrowed from games which already dealt with these mechanics much better. A Link to the Past used all these gameplay mechanics so thoroughly and so well that The Minish Cap is old from the moment you start playing. (This wouldn't be a problem if it had any artistic merit.) It doesn't have any interesting puzzles. It doesn't have any decent twists on the action. The world design is pathetically obvious. It doesn't sufficiently develop the ideas it has. When I started playing this game, I was immediately bored. I stuck around for a few more hours because I was desparate to find something good about it. That good never came. Tremendously disappointed, I got rid of the game without finishing it. What is it you guys liked about it? Scratch that, what is it you guys even tolerated about it?