View Single Post
Old 10-09-2005, 11:17 PM   #20
AFGNCAAP
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClémentXVII
On the topic of fangames being based on known games or universes, I can understand why amateur developers would want to work on that:
  • People who liked the original might be tempted to try out the fangame
  • A fangame based on a well-known game is easier to promote
  • The universe is already there, so the developers don't "lose time" discussing the workings of their universe, the relationship between the protagonists,... and can start working on the game/story right away. Plus, the whole team usually knows the universe right from the start
I think all of us realise what are the common reasons for picking fanfic for your game. Still, it doesn't invalidate what bigjko said - such decision shows a certain lack of creativity.
Quote:
Do you really think you'd be interested in playing the Al Emmo and the Lost Dutchman's mine by Himalaya Studios if you didn't know that the same team also worked on the King's Quest I and II remake?
That's a tricky question, you see. Quite probably my answer is "no", but not just because they merely worked on KQ remakes, but rather because those games were stunningly good - and they would be such regardless if they were called "King's Quest" or "Monarch's Mission".

(That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet.)