View Single Post
Old 10-08-2005, 07:11 PM   #89
Scoville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeysie
So, yes, I personally feel that the original creator of a work has the right to say how it's used and I would respect that with no grumblings. But why should I care overmuch about a company that has no creative involvement with the work whatsoever?
If you feel the original creator has the right to say how his property is used (including forbidding people from making fangames), then you must think it acceptable for the creator to sell their property to a third party, if that is indeed the use he has chosen, correct? So if it is acceptable for a creator to transfer his rights, the right to say how his property is used should also be transfered to the third party, meaning that by the moral code you have decided upon, Vivendi does in fact have every right to do what you are condemning them for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtrooney
Didn't mean to be "snippy". Just wondering why the thread seems to center around why this company, Vivendi, is chastised for doing what it had every right, and responsibility, to do. I.e., protect its Brand.
It's because it is trendy to hate large companies. It is also because the massive amount of freedom we have has spoiled us into believing we should have even more freedom than we are entitled to. Thus anyone who is an authority figure or tries to tell someone what they can't or shouldn't do becomes vilified.