View Single Post
Old 10-07-2005, 05:33 PM   #16
Jeysie
Diva of Death

Send a message via MSN to Jeysie

It depends.

I'm not afraid of getting old in and of itself. I know plenty of older people who are still having fun and enjoying life, and are able to look at things with the wisdom of knowing the worst in life didn't kill them and the best in life makes it all worthwhile.

On the other hand... I look at some of the old people I see on the bus each day. They have lank hair, sores, and spots, they limp along at 1 inch per hour with a walker, they talk out loud about random weird things when nobody's listening... etc. In short, age has not been kind to them.

I mean, I'm not vain. I'm not perfect now, and I won't be perfect when I'm old... I can live with wrinkles and grey hair and whatnot. But I at least want to be relatively *healthy*. I enjoy trying to be as independent as possible, being intelligent, aware, and able to take care of myself without burdening others. The thought of losing control of all that frightens me.

So if I grow up to be one of those healthy old people who is still sound enough of mind and body to keep control of themselves, that wouldn't bother me at all. But if I turned into one of those people whose bodies and minds are almost gone, *that* prospect scares me. And unfortunately there's no way of knowing which I'll end up as until I get there.

I will say I miss being a kid in many ways, though. I miss the lack of problems and responsibility, when the most pressing thing you had to worry about was getting your math homework done for class tomorrow.

That's not to say my childhood was a walk in the park (in fact, some bits of it sucked quite a lot), but life was a heck of a lot simpler back then.

Peace & Luv, Liz

"Maybe it's still in the Elemental Plane of Candy."
"Is the Elemental Plane of Candy anything like Willy Wonka's factory?"
"If it is, would that mean Oompa Loompas are Candy Elementals?"
"Actually, I'm thinking more like the Candyland board game. But, I like this idea better."
"I like the idea of Oompa Loompa Elementals."