View Single Post
Old 10-07-2005, 05:25 PM   #13
natalia
Mrs. Bear

Send a message via AIM to natalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhunter71
When I was young I was very immature and naive - it wasn't until I left school and entered full time employment that I actually achieved some self-confidence! So I feel that my true youth started in my early to mid 20's - this was when I had my most memorable experiences, and this period lasted for about 7 yrs. This was when I made my best friends, took drugs, saw great bands and had loads of sex!!!!

So now, at the age of 34, I still feel young; but when I look at my classmates, I find that they are all married with children and all have high-powered jobs

On the plus side, none of them seem to have had an exciting youth (they all went to uni and then got married after graduation )
Sounds like a fun wild oat sowing youth.

I try not to compare myself to my peers at this point. Some have more advanced degrees then me, some have already settled down and have kids. Still others are pursuing more artistic adventures, like opera, having really exciting nontraditional life paths. But, I'm happy with where I am. I don't try to meet any arbitrary deadlines about when I should be married, or when I should have kids, or when I should have made x amount of money. I used to think that if I hadn't written a novel by the time I was 30, I was done for. But now, I just go with the flow and see where life takes me.