View Single Post
Old 10-07-2005, 04:59 PM   #8
natalia
Mrs. Bear

Send a message via AIM to natalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkgothic
@natalia: Now that you mention experience... I think that's what I like the least. In some aspects, experience is good. In philosophy, I'm finding that whilst it makes you excellent in philosophy and you can mostly effortlessly plow through other people's philosophies in a discussion... well, I don't like it. I don't like it because the only thing left to do for me in that regard now is distancing myself from myself to look at myself from the outside more. And I'm already pretty distant.

What also sort of sucks is that five years ago, people were in awe of me being way ahead of my peers in regards to maturity and sense. Yet I've gotten so much experience since then and find myself from then so... rookie... that I do have to shudder to think what happened to my peers. (For that that don't know - I'm 20.)

Stuff like that. Not entirely rational, but I figured I'd toss it in.
Hi pinkgothic. If I'm understanding you correctly, I can see how that would make things difficult if you've got experiences way beyond your peers. I was sorta the opposite. I was horribly naive when I was in my 20s, and hated the feeling of being unsure of myself and never quite comfortable in social situations. For me, gaining experiences has allowed me to not take so many situations so seriously (when I think about it, I laugh at the things that would totally ruin my day in the past.), I can be more relaxed about life now.

My fiance is the opposite of me here, he often looks at his youth with a lot of nostalgia. I only do that when I think about the lack of responsibilities I had, but on balance, I kinda prefer the confidence, self-assurance, and a more relaxed attitude I've gotten in exchange.