View Single Post
Old 10-06-2005, 10:10 PM   #13
Kurufinwe

thedigitalmonkey, although I don't fully agree with your conclusions, I really like you method of studying the relationship between gameplay and story; the adventure genre wouldn't be where it is now if some designers had asked themselves that question ten years ago. I wrote a few things on the subject in another thread, with a different perspective. That might interest you.

And the question of different perspectives is an interesting one too. You say:

Quote:
And then I started thinking about what just might be a new way of looking at the whole problem. In adventure games, and it's key that they are GAMES, plot, character development, world, dialogue, all come FIRST, and gameplay comes second.
I strongly disagree with that, but I see what you mean. I've mean meaning for a long time to start a "what was your very first adventure game and how did it influence your view of the genre" thread, as I think that is the crux of the matter; I think I'm really going to do it, this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
What I'm seriously hoping for is that a few other talented adventure game devs will want to investigate how Fahrenheit works in terms of incorporating gameplay so deeply in the story (not necessarily the simon says sequences and the trigger mashing) - how you interact with the gameworld, your characters, and how your choices affect the conditions and details of the plot.

I would love for there to be some adventure games that explore issues of ethical choices, as well as real time artificial intelligence.
Amen to that (or at least most of it).