View Single Post
Old 10-06-2005, 02:54 PM   #2
Terramax

Adventure games nowadays get great(er) budgets and become greater games. I think it's simply the marketing. I don't know in the big scene in America but adventure games in the UK never get posters in "Game" stores (Electronic Boutique they were once called) or advertisements. I think this is it.

"Still Life" was a great game. Sure, it had its flaws and sure the ending was a little sudden, but it was a damn good attempt. Friends of mine who have never owned an adventure game are buying/ have bought the game now that they know about it.

"Fahrenheit" has sold incredibly well for the game it is. Sure, to me it seems more "GTA" than "Monkey Island" and the game too had a few flaws in its design and plot yet was still bought up by a major(ish) publisher. When I went to see the price in game, the PC version of it sold out!

My personal view is obvious - it's the publisher and industries fault. It has nothing to do with the game. If the games were bad then I wouldn't be on this forum. None of us here would. I'd be on a FPS forum writing about FPS games. I can't wait for the adventure games next year and neither should the next AG fan.

Unfortunatly, this is coming from someone who can't be all nostalgic about the old adventures. My first was "Blazing Dragons" on the sega saturn followed by "Discworld" on the PSX. I have played a few of the older (Sam and Max, Monkey Island 3, DOTT) but none seem better to me. The stories in the titles then seem no better than the ones now. In fact, I can barely find "SaM" and "DOTT" playable at all neither funny compared to "Discworld Noir".

Personally, reading other members with fond members of the past, I do think there are many out there who are blanked by nostalgia. But then again that can be with any genre. How many FPS fans expect the next "Halo" or "Half life" everytime they pick up a mediocre game of the genre. Why do these games still sell well ( or better then AG)? Because of the publishing budget.

I dont' think we should lose hope though. In Germany, AGs are doing incredibly well and in Europe as a whole seem to make more 3rd person AGs than the US.

I can't think of a way to answer your comment on not bothering to play adventures from nowadays. Personaly, "Wanted" and "Still Life" are some of the best adventures I've ever played. If you aren't interested in games like these then I suggest you move on to another genre of games.

I don't know how much of this you will find useful but, these are my thoughts.