View Single Post
Old 10-03-2005, 04:54 PM   #39
Kirk
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Sure, it's fine when I point-&-click at things to try and solve a myster, but after experiencing Fahrenheit, it just makes me far more aware of how clinical it feels to play some other game as if it's under glass.

David Cage now definitely knows what works and what doesn't in how he wants to engage the player and communicate his drama, and he wants to make it better and better.
Hey, Intrep--

I admire David Cage and I see his latest game as a nice addition, but immersion was questionable for me. I definitely see the production value and feel that the fleshed-out characters, flashbacks and possible narratives made this game a fun experience. Yet, the actual "gaming" elements involved seemed to distance me frequently.

Doing Simon Says while listening to the orange clan discuss Lucas was peculiar, unnecessary and quite uninvolving. At times I felt the pacing was off simply due to the FORCED nature of some gaming elements.

As I have stated previously, Yu Suzuki has done much of what David Cage has created here. Except I feel Yu Suzuki has done a more effective job. The reason: gameplay elements felt interactive and not drawn out for you. There were QTEs periodically. The roam and discover portions flowed and enabled you to become the eyes and ears of Ryu. And the action elements required thought and helped to develop character (in particular, the falling leaf focus and attack in Shenmue 2).

Regardless, Indigo was a nice romp. A emulation of others, but a nice romp nonetheless.

Kirk