View Single Post
Old 10-01-2005, 06:16 PM   #43
e1ven
SQ7.org Project Lead

Send a message via ICQ to e1ven Send a message via AIM to e1ven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky
Wow, those sure are relevant arguments about an engine running on Java that uses XML as its scripting language. Clearly, the GPL is the only thing standing between this engine and widespread commercial adoption.
Although it's a small point, I'd disagree that it uses XML as a scripting language.

Really, what we're allowing XML for is defining objects- To create an object, specify it's image, location on the screen, etc.

Now, to do scripting, we're using Handlers, which are bits of Java code which can be called from the XML. So for example, if you want to do something simple like move across the room, you could add the "Move to" handler to a character, and then call that from XML.

But if you want to do something complex, Something I'd call scripting, like having a character walk just out of range of your avatar, I'd write a custom handler for that in Java.

It is, in my opinion, an interesting hybrid situation. The quick and easy tasks you can do using XML and calling existing handlers, but anything that needs real power uses a custom Java handler. That avoids the limitation of a custom scripting language.

Keep in mind that the engine is entirely usuable without writing any XML. You can code it entirely in Java if you choose.

Keep in mind, we haven't had an official release yet. We're still getting ready for the Alpha at the end of the month.

-Colin