View Single Post
Old 09-30-2005, 11:45 AM   #39
Aj_
Beyond Belief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
It's in Fable? I don't remember seeing it, or it was far too subtle to make a difference. However, I it used well in Splinter Cell: CT and Hitman: Contracts. It's definitely being done for next gen console games. Creates a nice depth of field.
Fable was criticized because bloom was "intense" and "overly dominant", and it's used basically everywhere in the game. Chaos Theory used it subtly, I haven't played Contracts. The Lost Chapters looks a lot different without so much bloom.

HDR is the main technology behind the depth of field in new games, then a bloom filter is applied over the top of it to make it nice and blurry, or "softer".

Ragnar said the graphics are looking a lot better, but again says the Xbox version looks very close to the graphics or even better than on the PC. Hides the flaws apparently being 640x480. I agree, being low poly and having some shocking texture work can be invisible on the Xbox. Yet I don't think this is a good thing, it shows not enough attention is being payed to the PC version.