View Single Post
Old 11-21-2003, 08:56 AM   #17
Garyos
AKA Morte

Send a message via MSN to Garyos

I got the same vibe from this as with the original Deus Ex demo - I didn't get into it. I know I'm going to love it in the end, but this - I just couldn't get myself to finish it. I dunno why.

Pro's:

- Great graphics, and all that retains the same "feel".
- Physics in place: Didn't do anything useful while I played, though.
- Most realistic walking in any FPS to date. (Or just bad Framerate... I wasn't totally sure.)
- Nicer cutscenes while talking to NPCs than in the last game.
- Thief 3 trailer! Cool!
- Fluid-looking interface. But...

Con's:

- Why does the inventory things have to stay in view in the middle of the screen all the time??? They were really in the way, and i preferred DX1s way of doing it. Luckily you can turn its opcaity down, so I just made it invisible. Also, there was a lot of text floating around all the time, and everything seemed too big for the resolution I had chosen.
- Some of the controls were weird. Why do I have to toggle crouhing instead of just pressing the button? And where are the lean keys? And the holster key? And the quicksave keys? (this was one of my main reasons for not completing this. Deus ex REQUIRES quicksave!)I hope this is only lacking because it's a demo.
- The framerate was lower than I expected for my machine. I guess I'll have to tone the dials down a little...

Nitpicks, this. I think my main gripes are qith the interface, which I'm sure I'll get used to. And the controls better be better in the final game!

EDIT: Forgot to mention that it seemed quite open-ended and multi-choisey. Add that to "Pro's".

Last edited by Garyos; 11-21-2003 at 09:05 AM.