View Single Post
Old 09-27-2005, 08:02 AM   #60
Once A Villain
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag
There's not much to defend. I'm not making fun of you for one or two of your points being assinine. I'm making fun of you because they're ALL assinine. Every single one. I mean, come on. The cloak looks like Predator? Because it's not like that's what a cloaking device looks like in every single movie with a cloak ever made. What the **** is a cloak supposed to look like? Kojima is a hack because his game includes jeeps? It's like I'm talking to a twelve year old AOLer.

Honestly, when I was reading your list, all I could think of was the person who told me that Peter Jackson named him movie The Two Towers because of 9/11.
The cloak looks almost exactly like Predator. Cloaking effects in movies are generally just completely invisible, or you see the outline of the being's shape, like a bubble, but clear inside. Predator has these interior ripples, lines, whatever you want to call them. It was just an effect that made Predator different in 1987. It's a visual image that sticks in one's head. Ninja uses a similar style of cloaking. Visually it's very close.

You want to tell me that when you saw Ninja cloak and run around you didn't immediately think of Predator? If not, then you aren't as bright or observant as you think you are. Even Kojima knows where he got the idea. As he said, McTiernan is one of his favorite filmmakers (I have no idea why, but that's just the case), and he had a Predator figure on his desk as he designed MGS.

What about the way he stylistically emulates Michael Bay constantly (and Bay isn't even a good filmmaker)? What about the scenes I mentioned (and believe me, there are more), where the very dialogue, ideas, action, etc. are extraordinarily similar to other specific scenes from other specific films. I suppose now you're going to tell me that Solid Snake and Snake Plisken aren't similar at all, even though Kojima has admitted that's where Snake came from, and the two characters are almost identical.

Plus, I didn't say Kojima is a hack for using jeeps in his movie. It's the way he uses the jeeps in the final chase scene, are you completely obtuse? The big chase scene down the tunnel where I recall, at least in the Japanese version, Liquid comes flying up behind him screaming, "SNAAAAAKE!!!!" I'm sorry, but I thought I was in an 80's action movie or a 90's straight to video film. It was just...cheesy. And it was cheesy in every movie that did it before Kojima did.

I suppose you'll never understand. You're like a woman that keeps going back to the guy that isn't good for her. She can be told what the guy's flaws are, but she won't acknowledge them, or if she does, she overlooks them. In this case, overlooking Kojima's flaws is fine, if you like him that much. But to deny them when even Kojima would readily admit his influences (probably not all of them since that would take up an entire notebook titled "The Kojima Style"), is just sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillyruless
Will you two settle down? You need to save your strengths for the next presidential election. I will start a thread for your benefit on the eve of next presidential debate.

I did enjoy most of MOS games but as a Sci-Fi fan, it's hard for me to classify the stories within the games as sci-fi. Definitely nor hard sci-fi.
Yes, definitely not hard, and not even soft as far as I'm concerned. As I've mentioned (and no one has argued) where is the soft science fiction, where is any science fiction, in the villains? I'll quote myself again: "Hornet men, vampires, people who deflect missiles with their souls, and dead people who show up as ghosts and haunt you in a boss fight of sorts." Or Psycho Mantis, wow that was really scientific. No. It was super-****ing-natural.

As for the next election gilly, it pains me to say it, but at this point, who knows if mag and I will be on opposing sides?

Last edited by Once A Villain; 09-27-2005 at 08:32 AM.