View Single Post
Old 11-21-2003, 04:36 AM   #8
remixor
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

90-95 kicks my ass. It's absurd how many classic games were released during those years. I have more favorites from that era than I could count

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wajus
Since every period has it's classics I will say that for me it's not important when the game was published. I don't have a best period, no matter what statistics say.
Well, in theory, yes, but if you really enjoyed one game from a particular period, and a dozen games from another (for example), I think it would be pretty obvious that one of those periods yielded better results. It's really difficult to deny the way these types of things work in cycles. I mean, we saw a few years when there were hardly ANY decent adventures being released at all. Now we're sort of in something of a transitional phase, with fewer titles than we'd like but ones that are doing innovative things (Uru, BS3). There was the time when the genre was brand new, and it was just getting into its swing but didn't necessarily have the same quality it later developed. There was the late 80s to mid 90s, which more than anything else was solid. The genre was easily at its biggest, and so more things got put out. And one certainly can't ignore the presence and impact of Sierra and Lucasarts competing simultaneously. It's not to say good games only came from them (not by any means), but they definitely put out MORE good titles than anyone else.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright