Thread: Gender Roles
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2005, 12:21 PM   #18
Trep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempsie
Well, he did make a good point at the end of class. He was talking about how if you see a man acting or doing something in a feminine way, or a female doing something in a masculine way, he said that most of us will say "Oh man, he must be gay" and "Man, she must be a dyke," and he said "Next time you say that, stop and think about why you had to say that out loud to yourself." That's a very good point.

He also said we should unlearn all of the gender specific stuff we were taught as children and that we'd live happier if we did that. I think that's impossible to do, but I can only afford one fight per day.
I think he's quite right, unfortunately. However, he seems to only be limiting his arguments to civilized, technology dependent, industrialized 21st century cultures and societies. What about tribes in New Guinea or Africa, where there are still highly demarcated differences between gender roles? Even at this stage we still have vestiges of that 'hunter gatherer' mindset, as recent as the 1950s when the man worked to provide for his family and the woman stayed home and baked bread, and few people strayed from that.