View Single Post
Old 09-26-2005, 11:14 AM   #46
Once A Villain
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag
Funny, I was starting to wonder the same thing about your posts. Why are you even arguing this? You've even admitted yourself that MGS has science fiction elements. But then you go into this ridiculous tangent about how if it was being categorized by a bookstore, it would be considered action, even though this has absolutely nothing to do with what we were talking about. Really, what's the point you're trying to make?

I think you know full well that MGS is science fiction. It's something that's easily recognizable by anyone with even the slightest knowledge of the genre. I think the only reason you've chosen to argue the point is to confuse the issue. You are a Bush supporter, after all. And that's how Republicans debate. You don't necessarily have to "win" the debate. If you can just muddy the argument enough to bring it to a standstill, for you that's a victory.

You want to distract people away from the fact that you charged Kojima with being an unoriginal hack with no specific points to support the claim other than a few minor, irrelevent quibbles. So you instead launch into an idiotic debate about whether or not MGS is science fiction because it doesn't meet your fanboyish definition of what scifi is. Now people forget that you called Kojima a hack without anything to back it up. Now you even get to play the hero. "Oh, poor me. Look at how these mean men are attacking me just because I said something completely assinine."

I've already shown you why Metal Gear Solid is science fiction, in much more depth than I should ever have to for any rational human being. If you want to continue being wrong, that's your decision. But I'm not going to continue debating the point with you. If you want to return to talking about Metal Gear Solid instead of hashing out some ridiculous fanboy debate on the nature of science fiction, I'll be all ears.

mag
Uh, what? It was you that distracted us. Not me. Poor mag, go back and look at the evidence (and if you don't know what evidence is, go look it up in a dictionary). I was comparing Metal Gear Solid to Splinter Cell early on (to illustrate how I thought that team does a better job than Kojima in the stealth genre), and I said:

"The atmosphere is more realistic and the things that happen in SC are much closer to life than the far fetched "intrigue" of MGS."

You replied with:

"I don't see why that matters at all. MGS is a scifi story. It's not a military documentary. It's not supposed to be realistic."

So I said:

"Sci/fi it isn't though. Not in my opinion."

And you immaturely responded with:

"I'm sorry, but that's just stupid."

That's how this all started. Now, I know the way you "debate" and I understand that facts, reason, and evidence mean nothing to you. But if you're going to accuse me of this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag
You want to distract people away from the fact that you charged Kojima with being an unoriginal hack with no specific points to support the claim other than a few minor, irrelevent quibbles. So you instead launch into an idiotic debate about whether or not MGS is science fiction because it doesn't meet your fanboyish definition of what scifi is. Now people forget that you called Kojima a hack without anything to back it up. Now you even get to play the hero. "Oh, poor me. Look at how these mean men are attacking me just because I said something completely assinine."
Then it would surely help your cause if it wasn't you that changed the subject to this sci/fi discussion. I was on topic and if you wish I'll gladly go back and discuss reasons why Hideo Kojima is a hack and a wannabe. I thought you wanted to discuss other issues because you changed the subject, and I played along. But, for the last time, your accusation is completely absurd and one need only travel back a page or two in this thread to see that.

I have never tried to confuse the issue. I have honestly explained why I don't believe Metal Gear Solid is science fiction. You have yet to defend the villains in the game. You have yet to explain to me how they fit more into science fiction, soft or otherwise, better than they fit into fantasy. Because they are certainly fantastic, and certainly NOT scientific even in the most liberal use of the words "soft and fictional". As my buddy from San Diego said in my current signature (see below), you must be defending a character that deflects missiles during the ending with just the power of her soul. If that's not fantasy, then I don't know what is.

But, in the end, I understand. I do. I understand you mag. I understand why you tried to make this debate my fault with your silly, insane accusations which were far too easy to prove wrong (perhaps you should have read through the thread again before posting?). It's because you have no ground to stand on. You can't prove me wrong. You simply believe that there are enough sci/fi elements in the Metal Gear Solid stories to make them science fiction. I do not. And you can't stand that. You want so very much for your opinion to be fact, but it just isn't. I understand man. I feel for you.

Oh and by the way, don't accuse me of being a Bush supporter. I never supported Bush, with my vote or anything else. At the time I did prefer him (quite strongly) to the other guy for various reasons, but I'm no Bush fan.

Last edited by Once A Villain; 09-26-2005 at 11:35 AM.