View Single Post
Old 09-26-2005, 10:23 AM   #13
Mattsius
Mostly absent

As for my thoughts on the article, mainly I would agree with it. But as always with columns like these they tend to romanticize the reality. For example I wouldn't say that being a teacher in Finland is something particularly prestigious. Maybe those figures about there being 10 applicants for every place in the universities that train teachers is correct, but maybe that's because they know they will get jobs when they get out. There's a big shortage of teachers in Finland at the moment (especially for the Swedish-talking population), at least in upper-secondary schools. The situation is I think better in the Universities.

And "talkoot" aren't as common as they used to be, but I guess they still exist.

Other than that I would pretty much agree with Kaiser has to say. It's always interesting to hear an outsiders view of ones country, and as a Finn it doesn't happen very often.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spier Crusoe
I lived in Kellokoski during (preschool?) kindergaten and first grade. Most of my relatives live in Helsingki.
Hehe, I had to look up that place. It seems to be situated a bit north of Helsinki.