View Single Post
Old 09-26-2005, 10:05 AM   #11
Mattsius
Mostly absent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider Crusoe
It can get fairly cold, but I don't remember the numbers. Think about Russian cities at the same latitude as Helsingki, and you'll get an idea.
Actually it doesn't really work that way. The Gulf Stream makes Finland (and Scandinavia as a whole) warmer than inland Russia. The winters in Moscow are probably colder than in Southern Finland although it's more to the north.

I think the record in the north part of the country is -52,5 degrees Celsius (that's ****ing cold people), but where I live in Åbo (Turku in Finnish, was mentioned in the article btw) it can maybe go down to -30 degrees, but these days (with the green house effect and everything) it doesn't happen very often and if it does only for a few days. Usually it's around 0 - -10 degrees during winter. You might think it's cold, but man is it beautiful when there's snow everywhere.

This is from the river Aura in Åbo (Turku).

Quote:
Finnish is the main language. Swedish is also speaken there, but I don't know what percentage of people know it.
Around 6% have Swedish as their native language. As for how many Finns can speak Swedish probably quite many, but with varying results.

@ Spider Crusoe: Where in Finland did you live when you lived here?

Last edited by Mattsius; 09-26-2005 at 10:33 AM.