View Single Post
Old 09-26-2005, 09:16 AM   #38
Once A Villain
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag
If we're using your bookstore analogy, it's unlikely that it would be located anywhere other than science fiction. Scifi is where all of those kinds of books are located--Halo, Resident Evil, etc. I've even seen a Metal Gear Solid comic in the science fiction section at Barnes and Noble. So I'm not just making this up.

If it was a movie, it probably would be listed under action, but that still doesn't mean it's not also science fiction. They're two completely different kinds of genres. Action has to do with the tone and pace. Scifi has more to do with plot and setting.
And the tone and pace of MGS is that of an action film. Even the plot of MGS has only elements of sci/fi throughout. In fact, MGS3 had very little science fiction. It had some fantasy elements though, mostly the bosses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag
Well, you do live in Texas. So it doesn't surprise me that you're surrounded by people who don't know what they're talking about.

I don't really care what your opinion is or how many people you know who also don't know what science fiction means. You are wrong. Factually wrong. There is no reasonable definition of the term science fiction you can come up with that would not include Metal Gear Solid.
The friends I talked to are all people I know in San Diego actually. But nice try... And it is you that is wrong. Factually wrong. As I said to EvoG, explain to me the science behind The Pain, The Sorrow, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag
That was a truly impressive display of stupidity. However, what you're thinking of is what's known as "hard science fiction." That is but one particular subdivision of science fiction. Not all scifi necessarily has to have that level of attention to accuracy and scientific detail. In fact, a lot of hard scifi actually tends to be rather dry and boring. Metal Gear Solid would likely fall more under the soft science fiction label. In soft science fiction, the scientific principles don't necessarily have to be real or accurate in any way.
So they're better defined as fantasy. Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag
It's ridiculous to say that a story is a good action story but a weak science fiction story. It's either a good story, or it's not. If it's a good story, and it's science fiction, then it's a good science fiction story.
I'm being kind is all. I'm saying that Metal Gear Solid is more at home among Die Hard and Terminator 2 than it is among, say, 2001: A Space Odyssey or Tarkovsky's Solaris.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag
Tell me about it. I don't even know why I bother arguing with him. I already know it's not going to do any good. He's invulnerable to logic. But sometimes I see him write something so insanely idiotic that I just have to respond.
Ack! Now I'm forced to admit that's the same reason I reply to you. I get a lot less frustrated than you do though. I guess it's not in my nature to let pseudo-intellectuals bother me.

To be honest though, I don't really care if you or EvoG or any other misled soul believes that Metal Gear Solid is some great work of science fiction. It doesn't bother me. I'm simply defending my position which is that of not seeing it as science fiction.