View Single Post
Old 09-25-2005, 04:53 PM   #30
Once A Villain
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonBlue
We know what science is, don't we? And we know what fiction is. Put those together and you have Science Fiction. Fictive Science. Movies/books/games with stories that for the most part are based on science that doesn't really exist, but is made up. Therefore, Metal Gear Solid stories are pure science fiction.

And the ending of Metal Gear Solid 3 should touch every humans heart, no matter how cold you are. It's one of the best and most beautiful endings ever in a computer game. It was extremely well presented. I don't think I've ever been as close to shedding a tear for a videogame character than this. I can only think of the Aeris scene and the Final Fantasy X ending as close contenders. And of course the part in MGS2, with E.E.
I'm not saying there aren't science fiction elements. I never said that. I simply believe that when describing a film, game, whatever...there should be a genre that the work fits into more than the others. Just like in a book store, you've got sections depending on what type of book you are seeking. Some books may have elements within them that are better defined by another section, but that doesn't necessarily mean they should be moved into that section. You have to go with what the overall genre is.

Back to the Future has sci/fi elements, yes. The Terminator, ditto. Independence Day, sure. But BTTF is a comedy, and The Terminator and Independence Day are better defined as action films. In that sense, MGS3 I believe classifies as action as well, or maybe drama. In terms of style, it's like a comic book or Japanese animation (despite all of the influence Hollywood films had on Kojima). But science fiction it's not. At least not in my view. I've never seen it as such.

And please, not everyone will be touched by the ending of MGS3 just like there are many people who aren't moved at the end of Au Hasard Balthazar or City Lights (two films which, it has been argued, have extremely powerful endings).

EDIT: How convenient. This works as my response to both of you.