View Single Post
Old 09-25-2005, 04:53 PM   #29
mag

Send a message via AIM to mag

Thank you, Crimson. Yes, science fiction can be set anywhere, any time. It can use real places, real events, real people, whatever. Pretty much, if it's fictional and it's based on some real or imagined science or technology, it's science fiction. That's why many scifi writers prefer the term "speculative fiction." A story is science fiction in addition to being an action, comedy, or mystery. The Terminator is an action film. It is also a science fiction film. Futurama is a comedy. It is also science fiction. The reason Metal Gear Solid reminds you of comic books and anime is because comic books and anime are usually science fiction. I've seen the term "science fiction" defined a lot of ways, but the only people I've seen define it as strictly as you have are crazed fanboys. Metal Gear Solid is very firmly in the scifi genre. Period. End of discussion. You can choose to believe otherwise if you wish, but you would be wrong.

Kojima's games have had a greater influence on the stealth game genre than any other game. Anyone who knows anything about the subject will say so, and it's not just because they want to be popular. It's because they know what they're talking about. Metal Gear created the genre. Metal Gear Solid redefined the genre. And Tenchu may have come out a few months earlier, but in terms of influence on the genre, Metal Gear Solid still wins.

And I never said you had to cry at the ending to MGS3, but its emotional impact is undeniable.

So there. You dragged it out of me. I just wasted valuable time explaining all the reasons why you're wrong about things you should have already known were wrong. Happy now?

And the Patriots still suck.

mag