View Single Post
Old 09-25-2005, 03:38 PM   #25
Once A Villain
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag
I'm sorry, but that's just stupid. Scifi stories often use real places, historical events, etc. By that definition, Star Trek, The Terminator, Back to the Future, Independence Day, The X-Files--none of these are science fiction. That's absurd. And comic books, by the way, are often science fiction too. Comic books are a medium, not a genre. The comic book villains you're talking about are from scifi stories written for comic books.
The style of MGS reminds me very much of a comic book or anime, and very little of sci/fi. That's just the way it is. Besides, the only one of those you mentioned that I would really consider sci/fi would be Star Trek (and maybe The X-Files). The others have sci/fi elements, but are better defined as action, comedy, mystery, or what have you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag
It's also the correct answer.
Actually, for 3D stealth action games as we think of them today, it is indeed the wrong answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag
In that case, you should try playing it again. If you don't think the ending of MGS3 has an emotional impact, then you're just dead inside.
No, I've just seen the exact same issues tackled far better in other stories and other mediums. That's like saying if you don't cry at the end of Simon Birch (or insert the name of another Hollywood "tear jerker") you are dead inside. I'm sorry, Simon Birch was manipulative drivel that I found funny even as old ladies were creating rivers in the theater.

MGS3 had a very cool climactic sequence, and a very cool ending that revealed the motives of the man (Big Boss) previously known in the series as just a villain. Does the ending make me more sympathetic to Big Boss and give the series a degree of complexity it never had before? Yes. But a real emotional impact? Like, some sort of powerful effect it had on me? I'm sorry, it just didn't.

EDIT: By the way mag...with respect to our mutual hatred for the New England Patriots I would just like to say: DAMN IT!

Last edited by Once A Villain; 09-25-2005 at 03:44 PM.