View Single Post
Old 09-23-2005, 09:33 AM   #7
gillyruless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolzig
The movie does look really nice, except I think this movie would work better if the spoken language was japanese. I certainly have a problem with these kind of movies being spoken in english.

Also why do I get the feeling that every major movie about the Asian culture (that gets a big response in US) etc. has Zhang Ziyi casted in them.
(Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, Hero, House of Flying Daggers, Memoirs of a Geisha...)
Well, that's Hollywood for ya. Subtitled movies just do not do very well among American mainstream movie audiences.

Cross casting of movie stars in the Asian movie industry is not very uncommon though. For example, Jin, one of the main characters from House of Flying Daggers is played by Takeshi Kaneshiro, a big star in Japan. I see Korean actors and actresses getting casted in variouls roles in Chinese and Japanese movies all the time too. Stephen Chow who made Shaolin Soccer and Kung Fu Hustle for example has approached Na-Ra Jang, a big time movie star in Korea, for a role in his next movie.