Thread: Finished Bone
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2005, 10:04 AM   #41
squarejawhero
Epinionated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonBlue
I wouldn't say that. In fact, I'd go as far as saying the impression you get from the demo is very representative of how you'll like the rest of the game. Both the best and the worst part. The game was flat and boring, and had no tension when needed, no timing in the jokes, and Thorn was a terrible character overall, and was nowhere near as good as in the books. And how can they use the same ****ing puzzle twice in a game THIS short??? Not to mention the action-sequence.
"That's your opinion, dude."

I'll be the first to admit it isn't a great game - it's average at best. But IMHO it isn't truly awful like a great deal of the other indie games that are often offered at around the same price tag.

What rescues it is the character (minus "Yawn" Thorn), some sparky dialogue, good music, some reasonable attempts at staying refreshing and the occasional characterful animation. But I also expected a lot more from this lauded studio... if they want to compete with actual animation, they've got a long way to go.

I hate to say this, as there's a reasonable amount I like in it, but it makes me wonder if S+M2 being cancelled was really that big a deal. Most of its problems are due in main to its budget and timeframe of completion, at a guess. I view it more as an experiment... but its quality varies wildly though, which is my main problem with it. You'll have some models and animation true to the novel, like the possums and the Dragon, then you'll get some really bad stuff like Thorn, Grandma, the BG's...

More on it when I'm not on dialup.