View Single Post
Old 09-16-2005, 09:51 AM   #43
Quadriflax
cows are my friends...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ince
I'm not comfortable with the idea of asking gaming fans to part with cash in advance of any development, so I'm trying to work out some way that will enable me to bring my game ideas to fruition. I would appreciate as many serious answers to the following as possible.
Honestly, I think this might be something worth exploring. Some third party could gather bids or pledges to turn over cash when a certain amount of work has been completed. I'm not saying it would be easy to work out the details, but I could possibly see something like this working out. Especially for niche markets like adventure games. I'd pay money upfront if I had some kind of guarantee that Sam & Max would be made as a result.

1. It does seem a bit much, but I honestly can't say I know how much would be a good amount. It would seem arbitrary to say $10 without knowing how good each part is. I've never been one to follow the "X hours of gameplay" model because it doesn't seem to work like that for me, especially lately. I have so many starts and stops I can't keep track.

2. I don't really like it, to be honest. I like to have something physical in my hands. Downloading seems too cheap. I know it keeps costs down, but I would like an actual pressed CD with a manual and everything. A box is not necessary, but would be a plus. I think maybe DVD cases are the way to go, and I'm surprised more PC games aren't in them.

3. Yep. I sure would. It almost verifies that if something happens to your company I can still play/have access to my game. I wouldn't have to figure out where I could download it from again if I lost it or my backup got destroyed (I've had a number of CDRs go bad on me lately).

4. I think anything over a gig would probably make me think twice. But it wouldn't stop me out right, because I could just leave it on over night, or at least for a few hours.

6. I downloaded Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory. It was a free release that was at least a couple hundred megabytes if memory serves.

7. Nope.

8. Just to restate that I like to have something real in my hands when I pay money. Paying to download something seems ... wrong. But that might just be the collector in me. I still have original boxes from some of my old Sierra and LA games (as many of us here do). That's part of the fun for me. I'd have to really, really be interested in a game to d/l it without any kind of box, CD, or manual. Sam & Max fits that bill, I don't think Bone does.