View Single Post
Old 09-15-2005, 01:28 PM   #98
Richard

Quote:
They did make a pretty poor choice of location for a demo. I've read the comics, and the opening section (the demo) is really more of an introduction to how the cousins get separated than an actual introduction to the story.
Well, quite. Except that we don't know them at all by that point, or have any reason to care about them. Actually, I hadn't even noticed they'd disappeared. It just seems mad to cut things off so early, given that you've had to download the full game anyway. You want to end on a really big, exciting moment, not a piece of text simultaneously telling you that the others have vanished and asking if you want to go find them (and yeah, they disappear in the locust chase, but you're looking at the top of the screen by that point).

It really does feel like they assume you know and care about all this stuff in advance, and I don't. Like I say, I've never heard of Bone in a non-game context, nor the guy who wrote it. For a light-hearted cartoon adventure, that's a seriously unwelcoming demo.