View Single Post
Old 09-15-2005, 04:34 AM   #20
Ninth

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikolasFigaro
I can see there is quite a debate going on here...That's not the reason I posted the thread, but anyway... Every opinion is respected and useful.

Personally speaking, I am quite fed up with the whole "traditional adventure" thing going on. I've been playing adventures for over 17 years and I trully believe that the genre is simply evolving, just like every other aspect in modern life. There's nothing wrong with that, and even if there is, we can't change it. If some people still believe that adventures are all about 2d graphics and point n click, well, I'm sorry, but you will have to continue playing older classics then, and therefore contribute to the whole "adventure games are dead" trend. If we, the adventure gamers, can't be open minded and accept a few changes, then we shouldn't except other people to be either.

I believe that a good adventure game is like a good book. It has to have an intruiging story to say, with a starting, a middle and an end. It has to "suck me in", offering a very personal and interesting experience. If a game can offer me that, I shall surely play it. And that's why I prefer adventure games to any other genre. Because they offer an intruiging narrative, and also give me the opportunity to try out my mental skills. From what I've seen, Fahrenheit WILL offer an interesting story. That's the reason I'm going to play it. If it's going to have 3d graphics and if I will have to use a gamepad, for example, it's fine by me. I'm surely NOT going to ruin a rich gameplaying experience for me, just because some blokes, who consider themselves the holy protectors of the adventure genre, think that this game is not a "true" adventure game. Wake up guys please.

And, possibly, this game may drive other gamers, younger, who haven't experienced some of the older classics, to explore the adventure game genre. That can't be bad. Sure, I agree, Fahrenheit will NOT define the genre. But it can give it a really good boost.
But see, the thing is that while I do believe that evolution is necessery, I also don't see the harm in continuing to product some old-school adventure games, only up-to-date, the way Kheops or Microids are (were ) doing. Both can co-exist, and I think both need to, to give the genre a real chance a survival. Else it will just slowly drift away...

Which leads me to fight the "traditional" fight here, but would also make me a part of the "evolution" side at a site like Just Adventure.