View Single Post
Old 09-14-2005, 04:08 PM   #318
Melanie68
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Once A Villain
It's not as expensive, surely, but with a cast like this and a filmmaker like Ang Lee, this looks even more brave. This is the third thread I've posted this trailer in (I have yet to see a single reaction to it from anyone on this board...), and I guess its time for round 3. Will someone please watch this damn thing and tell me what they think? I'm quite excited about this film, it seems to be extremely honest and human. One must take into account the time period (early 60s), the place (U.S.), and the fact that these guys are southern. Anyway, I've seen many gay films, but not one this high profile. Even Angels in America didn't have quite the same appeal as this film appears to have.

Please, people...give opinions on this trailer...this is my third try...

Brokeback Mountain
I got weepy just during the trailer. It reminds me of vet school. During Ambulatory rotation (instead of people bringing their cows, horses into the hospital - you go out to them), one of the old vets - in his 70's - told us about his first wife and how unhappy she was when he first became a vet. They would move and she still wasn't happy. Finally, she left him for another woman and he said very matter of factly - well I guess I know why she was unhappy. This was back in the 1950's so decisions like that weren't easy. Seeing that trailer really brings to mind how many lies people have to live because they would not be accepted for who they are (especially in the time frame of that movie). Life is incredibly interesting.

EDIT: I guess the inspiration for this post is how I approach movies. The only weaponry I have when confronting a movie is my heart, soul and life experiences. I don't have the knowledge base that SJH or OAV have to critically analyze a movie and I think that is where some disagreements come in. Certainly if a movie is crap, anyone can recognize that but some of the finer aspects that make a movie good (camera angles, lighting, etc) aren't really recognized by someone like me. I can only tell you how a movie makes me feel, if it awakens something in me, makes me remember something (such as the story above). A question I have for SJH and OAV - do you feel that your knowledge of cinema and movie making hinders or helps how you emotionally judge a movie?

Last edited by Melanie68; 09-14-2005 at 05:54 PM.