View Single Post
Old 09-05-2005, 12:33 AM   #23
After a brisk nap
Elegantly copy+pasted

I am not a designer, but from what I understand of design principles, that logo is not just bad. It is god-awful.

The torso is formed at the tangent of two curves. It's not even a shape in itself, just those two curves bleeding into each other. Bill Tiller talks about bad tangents: "when lines converge on each other in a confusing and uninteresting way." That's exactly what we have here.

Secondly, the weight of the lines. Is that meant to convey depth? So is his left leg far behind his right, yet his right arm far behind his left? That's one contorted position. Beyond the ergonomic issues, the tapering width of the lines makes it unclear where they actually end, and thus confuses the outline of the figure. The left leg, particularly, just appears to fade away into the background. Spindly points like that are exactly the opposite of a bold, clear design.

All that, and also being strongly reminiscent of the AIM logo, one of the most iconic figures in the computer industry? In fact, it also bears a passing resemblance to the (much better) logo for Save The Children:

If I was Lucas, I would fire the designer who came up with this.