View Single Post
Old 09-01-2005, 02:40 PM   #12
squarejawhero
Epinionated.

Putting a cap on the quotes for a sec, my download finished and I gave it a pop. That game's hella fun and JUST as cheesy as the film. It is a system hog at higher res, though, so watch it... 1024X768 with all details for me was OK but 1280X1024 was unplayable.

Basically, the game is the movie. Initially, I thought "hey, this is easy" as the bugs tried to take the base, and I found their numbers disappointing compared to the movie battles. But what I didn't realise was that's just the first test. The bug's aren't all stupid either. As well as the typical ones you see in the film, there are also "wasp"-coloured bugs that are actually disarmingly clever, circling you when they get close. At a distance they seem stupid, but run out of ammo too soon and you're meat, soldier!

After finding the crash site you're supposed to secure (solo, go figure) with another marine who got chomped earlier, and a battle with more wasps, you pick up the items... and then get completely flooded with hundreds of footsoldiers. Jesus, what a panic.

This game demo is more fun that it has any right to be. The voiceovers are terrible, the graphics merely so-so, but it captures the spirit of the movie and does what it says on the tin. Give it a try! If anything, the intro screen's worth it alone!

Definitely pick it up cheap.