View Single Post
Old 08-31-2005, 07:50 AM   #53
Once A Villain
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
So, Sanjuro, do you have a big TV to watch your DVDs?

I probably own 10 or so DVD, because I really don't like watching movies outside a movie theater. It just feel too small, and reduces greatly my pleasure. And "difficult movies", like the asian ones or Bergman, become boring instead of fascinating.
How small are we talking here Ninth? What size is your TV? Honestly, if you want to have a movie experience at your own home you should look into front projection. Plasma screens and fancy flat screen televisions can cost a fortune and they really don't get all that big by comparison. Still, there are two things to look at when it comes to front projection.

1. The size of the room you want to use
2. The cost of the screen and projector

Obviously I don't know what your home or apartment is like, so I don't know if front projection really makes sense for you or not. I know that my friend has an apartment with a wall that was a pretty good size about 10 feet from his living room couch. He got the Infocus X1 projector for under $1,000 and a 64" 16 : 9 screen from Da-Lite for $200. He's been very happy with that.

I invested a bit more money in my "theater room" simply because I'm a huge movie nut and I had an entire room to devote to my hobby. I have a 123" 16 : 9 Stewart Ultramatte 150 screen (9 feet wide, 5 feet tall...big enough?), and I have the Sharp Z10000 projector. So watching movies at home is, for me, like going to a theater. It's still on a smaller scale, but it feels HUGE when you are only sitting 15 feet away from a screen that is 10.25 feet from corner to corner.

I posted some pics in another thread, but they are sort of embarrassing. I took these pictures a few days after I moved into this house, and the room has improved since then. The paint job looks terrible here, and the white electrical outlets have since been painted over. Also I have a different DVD player now, and the one in the pics is covered in dust. Oh well, just take my word for it that the room is cooler now, and here are the pics:

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

By the way, there's another couch in front of the projector in case you are wondering how the hell this room works, heh. Anyhow, since I know you are a big movie fan Ninth, perhaps this stuff interests you. If you can do front projection, it's really worth it. But you'll need to research it of course. You'll need to figure out how many feet you should have between yourself and the screen for an ideal experience, which differs depending on the screen size. You'll also need to find a good match between projector and screen when it comes to light. Projectors will have a Lumen rating and the screen will have a Gain rating. This determines how much light is actually leaving your projector, and then how much is being reflected back at you.

People who do the research end up with amazing results. Let me put it this way, I'd rather watch a movie at home than at a theater. I didn't feel that way before.