View Single Post
Old 09-14-2003, 04:18 AM   #56
Egarthen
Love Doctor

Send a message via AIM to Egarthen Send a message via MSN to Egarthen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara
Wajus (or others): Is Tool Radioheady? I've never really heard anything of theirs, somehow I got the impression I wouldn't like them, but I adore Radiohead .. if so, I'll get to sampling them immediately

*scrolling further down* Egarthen, you're not suggesting they're like Sigur Rós?? I really love that band, amazing music (as you can see from my first post). If you like them, you should probably try Goldfrapp out, but try the earlier music first. I'm off to try Dredg
I don't mean to say that Tool is like Sigur Ros, as Tool is pretty darn unique. I mean that Tool has the same sort of musical depth and complexity, particularly on Lateralus and to a lesser extent on Ænima. Tool is one of the most actually progressing "progressive" bands out there. It's really amazing to listen to the transformation from the Opiate EP up to Lateralus.

Tool's also one of the most intelligent bands I've ever heard. They've got some deep, deep songs. In the song 46 & 2, for instance, Maynard sings about spiritual evolution through the confrontation of one's Jungian "shadow". Deep stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wajus
And have you ever heard their EP Orph?
I'm not sure. I was reading an interview with the lead singer, and the interview linked to 4 untitled demo songs. They sound far heavier and different from any of Dredg's other stuff. If the Orph EP consists of those, than yes. If not, then no.