Old 08-03-2005, 05:54 AM   #65
James
Prove it all night

Send a message via MSN to James

Quote:
Originally Posted by copycat
To conclude my little summary:

PlayStation 2

This was the defining console of the current generation. Both in terms of games and impact on the market. Like with Windows XP vs. Mac OS X and Linux – best selling doesn't mean it's the best product available. But in case of PS2, the best seller is also the top dog.

Not only offers PlayStation 2 more games than all other platforms together, a lot of the best games in different categories are PS-exclusives:

Best racing: Gran Turismo 4
Best action: God of War and GTA: San Andreas (a PStwo first at least)
Best console only adventure: ICO
Best RPG: Final Fantasy series
Best fighting: Tekken

More great titles are coming up like "Shadow of the Colossus", while MS silently buries the original Xbox in favor of the 360, which is not really backwards-compatible.

What exactly does "best selling" Xbox titles mean? To me it means I won't be able to play Still Life or Dreamfall on the 360, not even to mention Syberia I and II.

I'm not really interested in Halo 2 or Unreal Tournament, but I'm afraid adventures won't be top-selling enough to justify 360 compatibility.

Therefore I think I won't get a 360 and wait for the PS3.
Copycating:

From a development point of view, and in terms of what it did to the market (IE filling SEGA's shoes and then some) Xbox was hugely important. Microsoft took huge losses on the first gen to be able to be compete in the second - we'll see continued attempts to increase market share by MS this time around as well.

Best racing: Project Gotham Racing
Best console shooter ever: Halo 1/2
Best RPG: Shemnue 2/Jade Empire/Knights of the Old Republic

Gears of War looks stunning, and MS appears to have invested heavily in the Japanese market in terms of developers, so I think X360 stands a much better chance than its predecessor. PS3 is still more of an unknown quantity, but as it stands I'd favour X360. Regardless, it's a great time for games.
"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible." - Thomas Edward Lawrence