View Single Post
Old 07-19-2005, 04:49 PM   #435
sethsez

The Great Gatsby: Chapter Four

Jay woke up in his room, a bit dazed but otherwise alright. He checked to see what items he had on his person: a locket, and a letter. Checking the locket, he said aloud "I can't get it open." Reading the letter, he said aloud "This reminds me of Daisy." Then he decided to walk around his room for a bit. First he walked over to the bed, but there was nothing there aside from a newspaper lying on the floor next to it. Then he walked over to the fireplace, where he found a fire poker. He took it and stuck it in his pocket.

Walking over to the door, he tried to open it but noticed it was locked. "It's locked" he said. Looking through the keyhole, he noticed that a key was left in it. He walked back over to the newspaper, picked it up, and set it under the door. Then he tried to poke the key out with the firepoker, but when it didn't work, he exclaimed "I can't use this here." Trying again, he repeated "I can't use this here." Trying one more time, thinking perhaps he had approached it from the wrong angle, he repeated "I can't use this here." Frustrated, he put the firepoker back in his pocket and searched the room again. Checking the letter one more time, he said aloud "This reminds me of Daisy," after which he walked over to the dresser and noticed something shining. It was a hairpin! He put it in his pocket, walked over to the door, and took it out of his pocket again. Sticking it through the keyhold, he heard a dull thud on the other side of the door onto the newspaper. Exclaiming "that did it," he pulled the newspaper back to his side, used the key to unlock the door, and then stuck both the key and the newspaper back in his pocket.

Truly, the gameplay in adventure games is the stuff of literature.

Come on. If something interesting happens story-wise in an adventure, it's likely happening either in a cut-scene or a conversation. The gameplay itself is nothing anybody would want to read, ever.