View Single Post
Old 07-19-2005, 05:11 AM   #423
BuffYoda
Yoda on Steroids

Default adventure games defined, again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Are you sure? Again, I bring up Half-Life. And there are the RPGs, like Deus Ex, where the exploration and character interactions during the gameplay itself help to steer you through the story.
You didn't read me carefully enough. I said strip out all the cutscenes, and put whatever remains into narrative form. The game is an adventure game *if and only if* the resulting narrative is *worthy* of being called a story.

The narrative of HL 2 would consist of:

"Gordon Freeman then shot baddie #10029 with a rail gun, and it died."
"Gordon Freeman then shot baddie #10030 five times with a pistol, and it died."

punctuated by brief interludes of,

"So and so said, 'Hurry up Gordon, get in the [truck/boat/building].'"

Even including the so-called 'story' bits, the narrative would *not* be worthy of being called a story. That is, no one in the world, who is interested in reading stories, would be interested in reading such a narrative.

Contrast this with Gabriel Knight 2 or Sherlock Holmes and the Secret of the Silver Earing (for example). The difference is manifestly obvious. Half Life 2 is not an adventure game, in any shape or form.

There are a great many games that fall into the 'puzzle game' category (such as Myst), which are not adventure games, but tend to be lumped into the same category. Indeed, I would even say that because creating a genuine adventure game is hard work, many of the poorer quality 'adventure games' tend to lean toward the 'puzzle game' category.

My passion is for adventure games.