View Single Post
Old 07-18-2005, 01:50 PM   #395
gillyruless

Quote:
Originally Posted by James
that article is truly terrible, lets draw a line.

adventure games need not be linear nor developer driven - warren spector is a big fan of sandbox rpgs, and i see no reason why adventures could not follow i a similar vein. indeed, the very nature of a sandbox would be inclusive of both rpg and adventure choices as well as action and stealth etc, if it be a true sandbox. adventure will likely not survive on its own - but rather as a complement and contrast to other forms, but within the same game.
The one compliant I have about the sandbox approach in RPG is that that often leads to weak central narrative. Morrowind is a perfect example of that. The game has a very robust RPG elements. I had a lot of fun with the game for a while but at some point, I began thinking why am I playing this game when the only thing I'm gonna get to do next is just becoming a bit stronger and then killing a monster that's a bit stronger than the one I have already killed. The game's central narrative is so weak that there's no single thread in the narrative that holds the game together. In many gamers' eyes, this is a good thing I guess. Not in mine though. I need to have a interesting story in my RPGs. In that sense, I for one will not like AGs created with the sandbox design.