View Single Post
Old 07-18-2005, 10:24 AM   #36
mag

Send a message via AIM to mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamNMax
No reason to start a flame war over, though.
Who's flaming? I didn't insult anybody. I'm just saying that the idea that if someone doesn't like rap then she's just ignorant is ridiculous. Now, if your sense of self is so dependent on that single idea that any dissent is taken as a personal attack, you probably need to do a little introspection. But that's not really my problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamNMax
And about me making accusations, tell me what songs you've heard by him. Synthetic didn't do it, but I'm sure you will.
I don't know about you, but I usually don't bother learning the titles of songs unless they're songs that I like. Since I have yet to hear the Eminem song that I like, I haven't taken the time to learn any of the titles. So no, I can't make you a list of the Eminem songs that I have listened to. That doesn't mean I haven't heard his music, though.

And that's not really my point anyway. I was mostly trying to help you out by pointing out that, in my experience at least, people who make such assumptions usually end up looking pretty stupid. After all, when you assume, you just make an ass out of you and me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarejawhero
Saying all rap music is like a certain artist is like saying every FPS is like Doom, or that all computer games are the same, when in all fact you've decided you "don't like something" - without entertaining the possibility that along the way you'll get blindsided and something will come along you might really, really enjoy. It's not like you can have an "inability" to LIKE something, like some AG'ers do with action titles, and sure we have different tastes in music - but discounting someone elses without truly knowing about it is just plain rude.
Not all rap music is like a certain artist, no. But there are many similarities in all rap, just like there are similarities in all FPS's. That's what makes it a genre. If somebody listens to a representative sample of rap music and doesn't like any of it, then for any given rap song, there's a pretty good chance she's not going to like it. Just like there's a good chance that most of the hardcore adventure gamers here won't like the next FPS that comes out. That doesn't mean that there will never be any rap song ever that our hypothetical person likes. But even if there were, those handful of songs wouldn't change the fact that in general, that person does not like rap. There are a handful of Metallica songs that I like, but most of their stuff I think is crap. So even though I may like "Enter Sandman" and "Nothing Else Matters," I can still say that Metallica sucks because in general, they do suck.

mag