View Single Post
Old 07-18-2005, 09:30 AM   #34
squarejawhero
Epinionated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag
Yeah, because it couldn't be possible that someone just genuinely doesn't like rap music.

mag
Locking yourself from the possibility that something might suprise you IN AN ENTIRE GENRE OF MUSIC is ignorant.

edit - maybe that's a bit harsh. But ignorance breeds contempt if you don't truly know the entirety of a wide range of musical styles within a genre. If you think rap music begins and ends with Snoop Dogg, Eminem etc. and want to base your entire opinion of it on those frontmen, then that just showcases that you don't know much about the genre. You can't just immediately discount it because from what you've heard in the mainstream isn't your cup of tea. Herbaliser might come in from the outfield and shock you. Aim will chill you to the core with Coldwater Music. Jurassic 5 will make you party like there's no tomorrow. Roots Manuva might stun you with something in his lyrics from a perspective you never understood before. Ozomatli and Ojos De Brujo will suprise you with latino hiphop mixed with traditional mexican and spanish music.

Saying all rap music is like a certain artist is like saying every FPS is like Doom, or that all computer games are the same, when in all fact you've decided you "don't like something" - without entertaining the possibility that along the way you'll get blindsided and something will come along you might really, really enjoy. It's not like you can have an "inability" to LIKE something, like some AG'ers do with action titles, and sure we have different tastes in music - but discounting someone elses without truly knowing about it is just plain rude.

I don't enjoy mainstream pop. Doesn't mean I'm not open to someone changing my mind.

I don't enjoy Prince's music, but there are tracks I like within his repertoire and if he were to suprise me, then great!

I'm not a massive fan of The White Stripes, or garage rock in general. But their last two albums clued me into how good it can be.

If you spend your life closing yourself off to possiblity then you'll never be suprised. By that I don't mean searching out albums and buying a music style that might not be your taste, but keeping an open ear to things just in case something interesting passes you by.

Last edited by squarejawhero; 07-18-2005 at 09:51 AM.