View Single Post
Old 07-18-2005, 09:04 AM   #32
SamNMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntheticgerbil
You're being ridiculous, there are still tons of white rappers that aren't on major labels that are much more skilled and more intelligent. I'm guessing "the top" for you means making it on the radio and getting in the Top 10 at MTV. Neither of those matter, as who decides who goes where is money. And as for three white rappers, why are you forgetting MCA, Ad-Rock, and Mike D?
Nope. "The top" means getting the respect they diserve and stop being persecuted. And as for the Beastie Boys, well, they haven't done anything in a while and I doubt they will again for a long time. And besides, they belong to a label, too. What makes them so special? Because they're not gangster? So what? There have always been different types of rap, and they've choosen the alternative. But that doesn't make them any better than anyone else in the industry. As much as I don't like it, labels sign gangster rappers because they sell. But the truth is, I don't care if labels do this. Even if there are a few pretenders out there, it doesn't matter to me. I just like the genre because, well, I always had. Even in this age of white kids having to like punk and rock. Because there will always be room for great artists in the industry.

Still, the choice of the word "whitey" is still questionable.

Quote:
Well considering that is the current topic of the thread, it would be logical. Not as if I don't have a problem with everything else you mentioned besides that. Although the first two aren't creative fields,(in the traditional sense) so it works different. Music isn't synonymous with business. Music is music. Business makes music homogeneous, ignorant, bland, and nothing more than a product to sucker in new buyers.
Yes, of course. Just wanted to make sure we understand eachother here. And yes, business does water down music. But I still stand by my opinion rap music under labels is still quality music. You can disagree with that. After all, it is just an opinion. If you want to bad mouth this music by just looking at the stereotype, then that doesn't concern me.

Quote:
Pretty much. Everyone you listed is a tool. If you don't know it and want to be stubborn about it, then fine. There's so much more out there than that narrow amount you just listed. Suburbia's word of mouth and MTV isn't the end all on the possibilities on what can be done with a music genre. It's funny how you mention blood when the corporate artists you mentioned AREN'T (according to you) supposed to be the ones using violence to help sell their image according to whatever the fat executive with the cigar says. (Rick Rubin anyone?) And I think you should read the website again. For real this tim.e
Let me ask you something. Ever actually listen to these guys and not just read about them or pull the "record label? Pft. They suck" card? How are they untalented, I ask you. How, just because of a name on their CD, does that make them automatically a no-talent? If I don't know it and want to be stubborn about it? That's sort of hippicritical from you, isn't it? Have you ever heard more than one song by any of these guys? Before you judge me for liking certain artist, take the time to research them yourself. I don't care if there's "so much more out there". I'm well aware of that. If you are going to argue with me for liking a sort of music, then at least have a wide understanding of said music. And then you go off about MTV, though I've never, not even once, said anything about MTV. I've only watched one thing on MTV in my life, and it isn't music related in anyway shape or form. You really think I like these guys because they're popular? No. I don't. I like them because they're talented. But you don't belive this because of the stupid steretype put on them by websites and kids who are into the punk trend. And the blood thing. I was simply stating that not everyone under a label is faking it. Lil Wyte raps about it because it has happened to him. Not because some suite told him to.

Quote:
And I think you should read the website again. For real this time.
Now, isin't that interesting. you make an accusation youself while telling me to stop making accusations, myself.

Last edited by SamNMax; 07-18-2005 at 09:10 AM.