View Single Post
Old 07-13-2005, 12:24 PM   #7
Wormsie
Doctor Watson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Wow, tempsie........can I f#&k you? Heh, sorry, you make yourself sound so sexy in your 'assertiveness', I can't help myself . Anyway, good for you. Just remember, however, to always do it out of defense, not offense.

I do, however, love using my smallness to subversive advantage. It depends on the situation. When I'm at a bar enjoying a cocktail, taller guys usually swamp me and I'm pretty much invisible, which is how I prefer it. But I do have little strategies for 'asserting' myself. One time I was in line at Burger King. There was a tall guy to my side, and as soon as my turn came up he cut in front of me. I got pissed, and yelled

"EXCUSE ME!!!"

which startled him and he jumped and people from the far end of the room looked over. Then he profusely apologized and got behind me. It worked, because no one expects a harmless looking little guy to be like that.
Sounds like something I would do.

Quote:
How much you value your interests and rights is proportional to what extent and how often those interests and rights are violated by others. Do you value them enough to yell and scream and kick ass? Or will you stay mousy for the rest of your life?
That's agressiveness. You know me, Trep, you know I can be agressive towards people I don't otherwise respect. But if I'd have to defend myself against my boyfriend or a good friend, for example... that'd be difficult.

Quote:
Whether you choose to be self-assertive depends on how much you respect yourself. If you don't respect yourself and all that you believe in YOU WILL BE TREATED LIKE SHIT. Is that what you want?
Answer to your last question, no. And what you said before that is what I've already figured out- it's all about relf-respect...

I'm trying to work on this issue, but I feel rather... overwhelmed. It feels unusual for me to think about myself this way, and it is very exhausting to actually admit that "yes, I have rights".