View Single Post
Old 07-10-2005, 05:47 PM   #8
Mad Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squinky
Usually, adventure games have only one path, which means less replayability but more depth to the story; whereas in RPG's, the more endings you have, the more the story suffers.
Yeah. That's what playing through Knights of the Old Republic 2 taught me. It's great to have a game be so open-ended, but open-ended plots don't work too well. Through most of Knights 2 I knew what my short-term goals were, but even when I had finished the game I was perplexed as to just what the overall story was about.

The biggest difference between RPGs and Adventures, IMHO, is that generally in adventures, you are given a role to play through a story. RPGs are usually about creating your own character and going through the story in your own way. In a sense character development can be said to be more important in RPGs, but it's in a fairly superficial sense. Generally, due to the nature of the gameplay, RPGs tend to have little variety in plot and themes, unlike adventure games, which seem to be able to adress just about everything.

So, basically what I'm saying is they're VERY different. I like both, though, so long as they're well-done.