View Single Post
Old 09-13-2003, 09:59 PM   #47
Pappapisshu
rare groove

Send a message via ICQ to Pappapisshu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek
Does anyone have any good tips for me to expand my measly collection of jazz? I honestly don't know what to look for.
Well, I could give it a try...

First of all, jazz as a genre is so large, which makes it really hard to know where to begin. Not knowing your preferences, it hard to know what to recommend. Still...

You could always try the 'essential' ones. Miles Davis' Kind of Blue, Bill Evans' Waltz for Debbie and John Coltrane A Love Supreme. All three are amazing, though I would probably put Kind of Blue as my favourite.

On that track, Bill Evans has done some other great stuff. Sunday at the Village Vanguard is great. He has done some stuff with guitarist Jim Hall, most notably Undercurrents. Also, try to listen to 'Bill Evans & Eddie Gomez - A Face Without A Name'. Great.

Give The Sidewinder by Lee Morgan a try as well.

All of this is classic jazz, though. That's not all.

Maceo Parker. Very good, very groovy. You'll need Southern Exposure and dial: MACEO. He's very funky as well. Which brings us to The JB's, which he was a part of during the 70's. Arguably the best funk (and soul-jazz according to AMG) band ever. Just try anything with them.

Which kind of brings aus to Herbie Hancock. Probably the one I like most within jazz. He's done some incredible stuff. Most notably by him is probably the awsome Head Hunters. A real mind-blower. Incredibly cool electronic jazz-funk. But a lot of what he's produced is great. He did some classic jazz as well. Check him out.

In Vocal Jazz, you've got Diana Krall, and of course, Frank Sinatra. Great.

St. Germain does jazz-house. Tourist is wonderful.

(albums are written in italics)

Well, that's something at least.