Thread: Show Yer Art!
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2005, 10:42 PM   #84
Intrepid Homoludens
merely human

There is a desire in high fashion for stylistic exaggeration, often fantastic in effect, and abstract in scope. A style illustrator using very realistic representations will not last long - that is, unless they work for a very commercial company like, say, one that makes uniforms or commercial patterns for home sewers. I find commercial illustration like this to be boring and stifling for my creativity, and I could never see a career in it for me. Here's an example of it.

Check out some of these 'high' fashion illustrators:

Mats Gustafson portrait of model Linda Evangelista.

Left - Illustration by David Downton. Right - trousers by Helmut Lang.

A very free, very 'editorial' style of illustration is supposed to capture more the mood and atmosphere of the clothes in order to feed the fantasies of the viewer. I much preferred working in this style because it was far closer to being pure art than technical, commercial illustration ever could.

Here's another one I did, several years ago (which I featured in this thread):

Click for large.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien