Thread: Recipes Thread
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2005, 08:06 AM   #8
gillyruless

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabacco
Yeah, those do taste kind of lke bacon, but I don't think they're an acceptable substitute at all in a sauce, where their texture becomes a problem.
Bac-o can be decent in some recipes but in sauce I don't think it will give up a lot of flavor so I don't think it will work.

I really shouldn't do this since I'm a vegeterian but since along with kimchi, it's the national dish of Korea, I give you Bulgogi (marinated beef).

If you have a Korean friend, chances are that you have tried bulgogi already as it is the most popular and well-known Korean dish. Here's a recipe for it.

* 1 pound thinly sliced steak
* 5 Tbsp sugar
* 1/2 cup soy sauce
* 2 buds finely chopped garlic
* 1/4 tsp salt
* 5 Tbsp Mirin (sweet sake, optional)
* 2 Tbsp sesame oil
* 2 Tbsp toasted sesame seeds
* 1 cup split green onions
* 2 cups thinly sliced carrots (optional)

Mix all ingredients except carrots. Marinate in refrigerator for at least 2 hours.

Cook over medium high heat until meat is just short of desired completion. Add carrots and cook for an additional 3 minutes. Serve with rice.

This dish is traditionally grilled, but broiling or pan-cooking is acceptable (in that order).

The meet needs to be very thinly sliced and marinated for at least 30 minutes. Do not forget sugar. It adds a lot of flavor to the dish. If you are lucky to have a Korean grocery nearby, the meet department there will probably have sliced beef all ready to go.