Thread: Myst V Preview
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2005, 12:46 PM   #36
Intrepid Homoludens
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal
Okay, let's ease up on the JA commentary, guys. Cross-forum criticism just ain't cool.
Perhaps not, but it does show a trend among us adventure fans telling of how we work psychologically. Not my intent to pick on any specific community, but this trend does creep into many forums, including this one. All I'm asking is: Why is it so important to fixate on one detail of a game that you think would make it or break it for you, a detail that ultimately is just that, a detail? It's clear that Cyan in this case is wanting to try new things and try doing them well, but I, for one, will not yell at them for it. I want Myst V to be as good as it can be, and won't shun it based on my hangups with a few things about it I choose to have issues with. That's what I meant by always looking for things to complain about.

Quote:
About Myst V, I think it's great that Cyan's implementing dual control schemes. That's an idea whose time is long overdue. Of course, after Uru, I'm not exactly holding my breath about the direct contol , but fingers are crossed for lessons learned.
My problem has more to do with some adventure fans REFUSING to be at least a little curious as to how Cyan are working things out. For me, the classic WASD interface is waaaay long overdue - what, did Cyan think that all of us who play first person adventure games play ONLY adventure games? No, many of us also play FPSs, strategies, and RPGs, so many of us ARE USED TO various kinds of interfaces, especially ones we can customize ourselves. That's the mistake Cyan made with Uru, they didn't look into the fact that Uru really was, in some ways, just another 3rd person real time 3D game, like Max Payne or Tomb Raider, and that many of us would have been perfectly fine with the typical control scheme used by those games - because it WORKS.

But in the end, I'm happy they're finally accommodating as many different kinds of people as possible. What I'm most concerned with, though, is how well they'll do the mouse-only interface for those of us who prefer it that way. It may just be a design fact that a mouse-only control for a real time 3D adventure was never a good idea in the first place.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien