Thread: Myst V Preview
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2005, 04:03 AM   #31
squarejawhero
Epinionated.

Firstly, thanks for understanding my first point. I believe Still Life had a misdirected art style based on those character models, but I haven't played the entire game so I'm unsure if that's thematic or just a couple of ill-advised one-offs. I've seen the pictures though. But they're not an indicator to what 3D can pull of now in any way, shape or form.

I'm sorry, but Esher alone in just the few sequences is preferable to the "acting" quality of Myst IV. His acting is subtle and well-managed, particularly on the face, although 3D artists should try to get a grip with back-shoulder interface instead of loose-limbing them all the time.

Besides, the compression techniques in IV and those required for FMV (3D rendered background SFX not included naturally) weren't high enough so you often ended up with blotchy FMV over crisp (for the resolution) backdrops. Which is another pitfall in FMV in itself. FMV also limits you by only allowing a set viewpoint. A character often disappears from view in an FMV game so they don't have to hook them up in each screen, even in Myst IV. Any moving around is going to require directed shots out of your hands.

In the E3 Demo you see Esher from some way off before you go to talk to him. In "free roam" mode you can stroll up and see his position from any angle, and it's not taking up any extra space or code to do so. FMV is so limiting, and always will be until we can SCAN humans into a real, usable and texture mapped 3D model and mix the two. Myst V actually takes a step in that direction by matching the performance of the actor to the model. Not something I always enjoy from an artistic level, as someone in animation, but if it works it works.

Just thanks be it's not Tom Hanks doing the acting!

Simply put, I can understand your sentiment, but genuinely for a 3D title an FMV character just won't work.