View Single Post
Old 06-04-2005, 04:29 PM   #100
gillyruless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
It's dark, in the good sense, as Blade Runner is dark. It's a transposition of the etheral beauty of Syberia in a morbid setting, were perversity becomes art.
The two timelines are different but both have their own atmosphere, from the muddy and perverted Chicago to the decaying Prague, with the sense (and knowledge) of impending doom. Blood and death are everywhere in both timeline, even when they're not shown, giving a sense of urgency, morbid curiosity, and evil pleasure.

Most of the time the puzzles fit the story quite well and are on the easy side without being too obvious, plus they're varied (Vic needs to collect fingerprints, so the player has to figure out what object to take, and then how to use the different objects she has in her office, Gus needs to find clues about a murder, so the player tries to find the awkward elements in the crime picture, coparing it with the actual place, and then click on any suspect place, etc...). And sometimes they're harder, in a Myst way, and they take the player partially out of the story, allowing him to breathe and have a different and less tense kind of fun. Two puzzles had me stuck for some time (the receipe thing and the lockpicking), but even these two, which I disliked, were appreciated by some other players.
That was for the puzzles.
The story unfold itself with a lot of punch (with the occasional physical puzzle break, see above), going back and forth from one timeline to the other, leaving the player wanting more, but still satisfied from how each timeline unfolds.
I wish I were a woman so that I can have Ninth's baby. I don't think anyone can do better than Ninth did in his post describing what I loved about Still Life.

Trepsie, I know you are both a student and admirer or art. Just for the sake of beautiful pieces of art, you should check out Still Life. Syberia is one of the most beautiful looking games that I have ever played and Still Life in its dark and sinister manner is even more beautiful than Syberia. My offer still stands and I'm sure so is Lynsie's.