View Single Post
Old 06-04-2005, 08:59 AM   #11
sethsez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques l'aliéné
I think you're probably right about console-influence. As for 'old-fashioned and uninterested', though. For the adult majority you might be correct, but, believe me, for family-orientated gamers, adults who like to play along with their children, children who like to 'drag' their adults in to play with them, and just plain second-childhood adults, like me, they're an absolute treat.

Another thing too. 2D, cartoony-graphics games frequently seem to be longer than fancy 3D games (Increasingly so). Most of them do, to me, anyway. I think that's because, with 2D games, more effort, and finance, gets to be spread across all aspects of the game (story especially), so making for a longer game. I know this isn't consistently the case. I don't pretend it is. But some 'Adventure Company' games are so short, you have to wonder how much pressure the game designers are under to produce a fast turnover of their product. Small budget, independent companies, who publish the games themselves may have more freedom to finish a game exactly how they intended to, and not become pressured to produce. Again, I know there are exceptions, and not all independently made games are 2D by any stretch of the imagination.
Good 2D is far more expensive than good 3D. With 3D you create a model and animate it. With 2D you have to draw every single frame.