View Single Post
Old 06-04-2005, 05:39 AM   #7
Jacques l'aliéné
Flatulent Philanthropist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xman

It's sad, but it's no longer economically viable for 2D games to be made. While you and I can appreciate the subtle beauty of a 2D game, your average gamer will just view it as old-fashioned and with be uninterested.
I think you're probably right about console-influence. As for 'old-fashioned and uninterested', though. For the adult majority you might be correct, but, believe me, for family-orientated gamers, adults who like to play along with their children, children who like to 'drag' their adults in to play with them, and just plain second-childhood adults, like me, they're an absolute treat.

Another thing too. 2D, cartoony-graphics games frequently seem to be longer than fancy 3D games (Increasingly so). Most of them do, to me, anyway. I think that's because, with 2D games, more effort, and finance, gets to be spread across all aspects of the game (story especially), so making for a longer game. I know this isn't consistently the case. I don't pretend it is. But some 'Adventure Company' games are so short, you have to wonder how much pressure the game designers are under to produce a fast turnover of their product. Small budget, independent companies, who publish the games themselves may have more freedom to finish a game exactly how they intended to, and not become pressured to produce. Again, I know there are exceptions, and not all independently made games are 2D by any stretch of the imagination.